Monday, February 9, 2015

Day 5: Destination SE - Oscars and Breweries

Even while on vacation, I have my eye on the Oscars. The award show is coming up Sunday, February 22, and it won't be possible to achieve my goal of seeing all films nominated for awards for best picture, best/supporting actor/actress, or best adapted/original screenplay if I don't see some while on vacation. It was cool and rainy; a perfect day for a movie. Happily, two hard-to-find films I hadn't seen were playing nearby: Two Days, One Night and The Theory of Everything. One problem: two older couples in the second feature seemed to think they were in their own living rooms, making comments to each other often enough to irritate me but not often enough to make me walk out.

This left Ken to his own devices. He spent most of the day chillin' in our little flat, and ventured out on foot later to check out more of the downtown breweries. His favorite so far--good beer, good bar, good food and good people-watching--is the Lexington Avenue Brewery.

Lexington Avenue Brewery on--you guessed it--Lexington Avenue in downtown Asheville
Tanks at LAB
His favorites among their brews were "Waves of Grain" amber and "LAB" IPA. I joined him there after the movies and we had fun at the bar (shocker!) with bartender Amanda. I opted for a cocktail instead of beer: a simple and delicious concoction of ginger beer, Gosling Black Seal Rum, and lime called a "Dark & Stormy." Most recipes have the order of assembly as lime, rum, ginger beer, but Amanda reversed it and I liked it that way. The rum at the top makes the top of the drink dark at the top and light at the bottom. About 3 ounces ginger beer over ice, top with 2 ounces rum and a squeeze of lime. I unwisely had two of them and paid for it with a wakeful spell during the night. Lesson (re)learned; back to one per day for the rest of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment