Sunday, August 19, 2012

Rock garden

After several seasons of trying to maintain plants in the little plot between the two garage doors, I officially gave up and devised a new concept for the area: A rock garden. With general instructions from Tom and Mark on approach, I began by digging out the soil and moving it elsewhere in the yard. Turns out when I pulled off the soil there was already a good layer of sand beneath, so we were able to proceed directly to laying down a layer of drain-field rock. And when I say "we," I mean Mark, who brought the rock in the back of his truck. He also leveled the area, put down weed barrier (that black mesh stuff), and shoveled the rock in.

The excavated bed, ready for the rock layer
Completely forgot to take a photo of the bed with just the drain-field rock in it, but you can get the idea from the shot below.

The rock layer
With the rock layer down, I gathered stones from other places in the yard for the more artistic aspect of the project. I placed some of the larger stones, then tossed medium and small sized stones until a flow and pattern emerged. 

The beautiful (mostly Lake Huron) stones for the top layer
I left a space on the right side for a container planting - like maybe a whisky barrel with some annuals

Now I have a place to put my beautiful finds on display.


No comments:

Post a Comment