Sunday, September 22, 2013

Doppelgänger

"Who do you look like?" 

I've often asked this question of people who remind me of someone in my life, or maybe a celebrity, living or dead. (Sometimes it's an animal or cartoon character, but I don't usually tell them that.) 

But other than my parents (both of them) or Ken (to whom a casual friend referred as my "half-twin stepbrother), it's a bit unusual for me to be compared to anyone, be it a celebrity or other lesser player. My face isn't remarkable for any particular feature; pleasing overall, I've been told, but average in its parts.

So it's fun when a similarity appears. At Richard Thomsen's memorial service back in 2009, Steve Wildern (Nancy Kammer's husband) and I were similarly attired and similarly coiffed, and both wearing dark-framed glasses.

Now I doubt that anyone would mistake us for each other on the street (he has blue eyes, I wear lipstick), but you get the idea. Since then, I've referred to him fondly as "my Doppelgänger." (I also like to think we're both smart and funny. He is, for sure.)

I told you that story so I could tell you this one:

Last year, one of Steve's Facebook friends posted a picture of him, again in a suit, probably on the job at the Wayne County Community College Performing Arts Center where he is the facility manager and associate dean.

I commented, "Lookin' mighty fine, my doppelganger." 

To which our mutual friend Dick Hill replied, "Your doppelganger?....hell, at first glance I thought Steve was Bill Clinton!" Several other commenters agreed.

This inspired Steve to create a Venn diagram (a diagram that shows all possible logical relations between a finite collection of sets, according to Wikipedia) of himself, me, and Bill Clinton.

I just ran across it yesterday, while looking through my computer's download file. It had its moment on Facebook last year, but I wanted to be sure this would live on in family history and lore.

So here it is: A diagram of Steve Wildern, Karen Stock, and Bill Clinton.*



*  Technically, this diagram should show "all possible relations between a finite collection of sets." I think I need not go into detail about the kinds of relations that might have been left off of the diagram in the interest of taste and discretion.








No comments:

Post a Comment