Friday, September 20, 2013

Lightning show at midnight

Imagine this: It is sunset, the sky lit with horizontal streaks of burgundy, gold, and slate blue.

Now imagine the sun disappears abruptly, leaving a darkened sky. Then the lights flicker on again for an instant, and against the colors of the sunset, lightning streaks from cloud to horizon.

That's what it was like last night. Flashes in the south and southwest, lighting up a colored sky in short flickering bursts, taking turns grabbing my attention--first in the south, then a bigger flash in the southwest, then the south again.

But no sound.

So that meant, I reckoned, it was a big storm, but still far away. Making the lightning flashes even more impressive.

Here's the radar from last night (early this morning, really--about 12:45 a.m.). I took the photo off an "app" on my smartphone called "Radar Now." Thunder came, eventually, but in deep, long rolls, not booming cracks. Finally, I went to bed, and I'm guessing (because I was able to sleep) the storm died down as it approached, maybe because of the lake.

I wish Ken could have been here--he would have loved it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment