Thursday, December 6, 2012

Birds of Puerto Vallarte

I mentioned the frigate birds that fly overhead...here are some photos of other birds, the names of which I do not know, most resembling certain Michigan birds.

First of all, here is a picture of the frigate birds. You can find better ones on Google, but this one I took with my little Canon on full zoom, then cropped it further to enlarge the image.

This little guy resembles any of a number of sandpiper-like shore birds I've seen elsewhere. This one hangs around with a similar bird that has a straight beak. I wonder which feature confers higher status.

The rocks at the end of the pier are a popular fishing spot for the Brown Pelicans. Others of them float in the water, trolling with the little hook apparatus on the end of their beaks and gulping down the gullible.

This egret fishes the shallow water and lets me approach fairly close during my walk, with sidelong glances to confirm I'm not coming too close. He tips his head to the left, like he's wondering what I said, then surges forward to grab something with his beak that is invisible to my eye.

Here's another egret-like bird (or a heron?). This one is a pretty slate blue color. 


This last character makes his living off the scraps humans leave behind. This one found some choice kernels of popped corn and swallowed them essentially whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment